Oct 25, 2011

Chronicles of the Ark-Ship Salvation

This is the first entry in the personal log of Adriana Fang, voluntary passenger on the Arc-ship Salvation.

As I sit, quietly, looking back on the earth from my small room in this cold, cold motel on the moon a song plays through my head over and over, the song is called "2000 Years", over 200 years old, written by Billy Joel (of Earth - I think I like saying that now). They are his words, but I feel so very strongly when I hear them that they feel like mine. I don’t think the song was as appreciated as it should have been. I discovered this when I was studying 20th century history, it was written near the turn of the century, but it may have been written last year. It covers how I feel right now pretty damned well. I am starting this journey on my own, alone with about 2000 other people, hope I can make a few friends quickly, I’d hate to spend the first 50 years sitting against a window watching the stars sail by, alone.

So the head of the passenger management has asked us all to make at least one journal entry here, before we leave. They didn’t say exactly why, but I imagine it’s so they can get a good feel for all of us before they lock us inside a big tin can for the rest of our lives. It’s a good idea; I’d have done the same thing. Most people will tell blank screen things they would never tell someone trying to get a psychological profile. Let’s hope they actually read them. However, knowing these guys they will run them through an algorithm that looks for “unstable” phrases and things like that, lazy, but efficient, probably what I’d do too. Lord knows I wouldn’t want to read 2000 logs like this one, and no one that has figured it out would probably say much aside from “my name is Ralph, I have a cat, and I don’t wet myself much anymore.”

So here we are, my name is Adriana Fang, I am 23 years old, I was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, and I’m leaving Utah, and the Earth forever. I started studying 20th century history when I was 13 years old, and I fell in love. The science fiction is incredible; it quickly became an obsession, the books the movies, all of it. What was their future is my present, and past (sometimes my future too, but not too much). Did you know that people would create these fictions, and then kids would love it so much, they would spend a lifetime making it real? We would never have gotten the advances of the 21st century, if someone hadn’t first made it up. I love it. There was a movement to get this ship named the Enterprise, or the Millennium Falcon, a few lobbied to name it Serenity. I think they were afraid of starting a war if they used one of those, pity, but I like Salvation, even if it does sound a little doomsdayish.


Love, Adriana Fang - 03/17/2218

No comments:

Post a Comment