Oct 23, 2011

Chronicles of the Arc-Ship Salvation

This is the first entry in the personal log of Silas Paige, voluntary passenger on the Arc-ship Salvation.

Sunday, March 22, 2218, this begins the personal journal of one Silas Paige, 32 years of age.

        I have volunteered for life among the stars, and I feel unfathomable amounts of both anticipation, and fear. The ship is the most incredible thing I have ever seen man create. It hovers above the moon, its enormity blocking the sun for long periods. At first glance, it appears to be a floating hollow cylinder, and little more; but upon closer inspection, it is apparent that the planning of the ship's design was meticulous. The outer sections are where most of us will work and live. The center sections contain the inner workings of the ship, and the entire behemoth will rotate with such force that it will feel as though we are standing, once again, upon the surface of the earth. I am sufficiently impressed that I feel no need to inquire as to its inner workings.

        On this ship, we've been told, we will all receive work assignments. This was at first disheartening, as I was hoping to spend my time writing and exploring the heavens. This disappointment vanished once we learned that many of these work assignments were simply temporary, until our work was no longer required. I have not yet received a final assignment, but the passenger assignment officials said I would be working with the “bridge staff”, working with the piloting, navigations and communications crew. I suspect this is due to my background as an astronomer and writer, but one can hardly anticipate the inner workings of the minds within the Eden Foundation.

        I aim to make this entry brief as I still have much to prepare before our shuttles transport us to the ship. Once on board we may have no opportunity to communicate with our friends and family remaining on earth, and I do have quite a bit left to say to those left behind.

Silas Paige, future intergalactic citizen. 03/19/2218

No comments:

Post a Comment