Sep 29, 2011

Chronicles of the Ark-ship Salvation

This is the first entry in the personal log of Jefferson E. Castilion, voluntary passenger on the Arc-ship Salvation.

I volunteered as soon as I could, a chance to live among the stars. I know I won’t live to see our destination. They tell us we could be traveling up to 115 years, but they expect it to be less. We are leaving from the Lunar Tranquility Center next month, they have been preparing this for the past 3 years now. We have all been told that we will have jobs on board, even if we aren’t part of the ship’s crew. I suspect they need a little of everything. Farmers, teachers, doctors, even guys like me. I will be in sanitation. I’m a space janitor. My mom always told me to do my homework or I’d wind up cleaning toilets. Well, I suppose she was right. It’s not the job I chose, but they assigned the more skilled jobs to the people with more experience. They say though that there is lots of time to learn new skills and what you start doing is probably not what you will end up doing. Not that it really matters, we all get paid the same, have the same rooms, except for the families, they have larger spaces, but I guess it’s all pretty equal. When you have a limited space I suppose it has to be doesn’t it.

I don’t know much about the ship, yet. I’m not the most technical, I didn’t pay much attention in school, but I understand more than they think. They keep talking about this bio-steel stuff. And from what I can gather, they are actually GROWING parts of this ship. It makes perfect sense, I mean parts wear out, and if you can just grow some new parts in a lab using basically water and protein you practically have a never ending supply of spare parts. At least I think that’s how it works, all I know is that ship will out in space a long ass time, and if things break, there better be a way for us to fix it. They are calling her Salvation, well, that’s not the official name, that’s our name. The official name is Earth Arc-ship Omega something. Our name is better.

It’s time for more training, maybe this time they will tell us how we are supposed to get the next generation of space babies started. I wonder if they will start assigning us partners. Wouldn’t surprise me, that would be the king of thing scientist running the Eden Foundation would try to do.

J. Emerson Castilion 02/13/2218

No comments:

Post a Comment