Feb 4, 2012

Chronicles of the Arc-Ship Salvation

Personal log of Adriana Fang 05/17/2218
Dear digital-journal-computer log-thing. I’ve been assigned to communications on the bridge, but that isn’t what I want to talk about. I’ve met a man. It was not long after I arrived at the lunar base. In fact I ran into him during my testing, seems like it was a lot longer ago than it actually was. It’s somewhat hard to keep track of days now. But back to the new job. I have to monitor and keep the ships communications channels clear. And when there is any kind of official notice or announcement I have to send it out. It’s a pretty cool job, I get to see and know everything going on before the rest of the ship. And, theoretically, if we somehow have any contact with another intelligent race, I will be the one to make that contact. Well I’ll be the one to run the transmission. I’ll get to hear it first anyway. It’s exciting for me anyway. Okay so most of the time I will just be pushing buttons and making routine announcements, and acting as an operator of sorts, but it’s an important job.
Now this boy, well man, his name is Silas, he works on the bridge too. But he didn’t when we met, that happened after. He works in navigation. He will be one of the guys making sure we don’t crash into stuff, and that we are going the right direction. He plays down what he does but it’s actually impressive. They have to make tons of calculations because nothing is exactly where we think it will be. Most things in the universe we have mapped and plotted according to the speed of light and where we observe things being. He has to take that, and figure out where it actually is in relation to us. I don’t completely understand all the details but I understand the principal, it’s a cool principal.
Anyway, we leave orbit in a couple days, and from there it should take at least a week to build up the speed we need to really get moving, so our view won’t change much for the next two weeks at least. I’ll write more around then. I hope we get to see Saturn or Jupiter.
Adriana Fang

No comments:

Post a Comment